Bible’s True Love Calculator Tells Characteristics of True Love
The True Love Calculator Can be a Marriage Fixer—Divorce Nixer
To understand how the true love calculator works it’s helpful to know four Greek words. (Don’t worry, it’s simple enough!) Each of the four words describe a different kind of love.
Four Greek Words Show Four Different Kinds of Love• Eros—romantic,sexual love
• Storge—family love (parent/child)
• Philia—friendship, brotherly love
• Agape—sacrificial, giving love; self-giving without expecting re-payment. Agape love is given even to unappealing and unlovable people! Agape loves even when rejected. Agape love is “covenant love”, not based on emotion; rather, it’s based on our will.
Love Suffers Long• Literally—long suffering
• To not lose heart
• To be patient in bearing offenses and injuries
Love Shows Kindness• To demonstrate mildness, kindness, gentleness
• These first 2 are action verbs: They show love as an action, not just a thought or emotion
• “Love acts”
Love is Not Jealous• Does not boil with anger, hatred, envy
Love Does Not Brag• Doesn’t vaunt itself
• Does call attention to others
• Doesn't insist on being the center of attention
• Doesn’t dominate
Love is Not Arrogant• Not big-headed, puffed up, proud
• Considers others more important than self
Does Not Act Unbecomingly• No belching, burping
• Changes socks, flushes toilet
• Cleans kitchen
• Puts away dirty towels
• Is not rude
Does Not Seek It’s Own• Self-sacrificing
• No self-pity
• Not intent on revenge, but forgives
• Seeks benefits for others—what’s right for them
Love is Not Provoked• Love is not “touchy”
• Love is thick-skinned
• How serious is it to be provoked? Moses was kept from the Promised Land because he was provoked with people!
Love Does Not Take Into Account A Wrong Suffered• King James Version: “thinks no evil”
• Does not store any memory of past wrong
• Love puts away hurts of past instead of hanging on to them
Love Is Happy with Truth, Not Unrighteousness• What makes you happy? Is it right?
Love Bears All Things• ALL things!
• Love covers all things
• Love covers a multitude of sins
• Matthew 18 Principle—no gossip!
• Love protects, not exposes
Love Bears, Believes, Hopes, Endures All Things• All things!
• Love is optimistic, not pessimistic
• Love has vision for others
• Loves prays for others, sees a future for them
• Love never gives up on people
Love Never Falls• Love doesn’t fail in a crisis
• “When the going get tough, the tough get going”
• When everyone and everything else fails, love remains standing
Put “Jesus” in the Description to Better Understand the Signs of True Love• Jesus suffers long
• Jesus shows kindness, etc
Measure Your Maturity With the True Love Calculator• Put your name in each description:
• _________suffers long
• _________shows kindness
• _________is not jealous